Hello all! My brain is still in vacation-mode coming off of Thanksgiving, so I’ve yet to regain any motivation to write a “real” blog post this week. I’ll try to put something out in the next few days, but until then, here are some stream-of-consciousness rambles about my extended holiday weekend:
- I had a wonderful Thanksgiving (and hope you did too!) Had dinner at my cousin’s place, watched the Bears-Packers game (As a born and raised Cheesehead, it was pretty depressing), and played some Bang! and Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes. Overall, it was a great time with my immediate & extended family. I love them all dearly and was happy to spend time with them all on Thursday!
- For the next few days, I stayed over at my brother’s apartment in Chicago. We watched movies, played Rock Band 4, and just lazed around. It was fantastic 🙂
- While my brother played DOTA 2 at various points throughout the weekend, I read through several Image comics I had picked up recently:
- Lazarus (Vol 1-3) – I had only recently heard of Lazarus, but it had been highly recommended and sounded to be right up my alley. And boy is it! I’m still very much a comics noob, but this series is already one of my faves. The worldbuilding is just so great. I’ll probably do a review of the series thus far after the fourth trade comes out in January as that book will finish up the first main story arc.
- Saga (Vol 1-3) – I re-read Volumes 1 & 2 to read Volume 3 since it had been awhile since I first picked them up. Saga is all the rage right now, and justifiably so. Everything about it is fantastic. I’ve been taking my time reading this series since I’m so far behind and a trade-waiter anyway 🙂 Can’t wait to get my hands on Volumes 4 and 5.
- I Kill Giants – I picked up this graphic novel at the recommendation of the Image Comics subreddit. (I haven’t posted anything on that thread. But nice try, would-be cyberstalkers! 😛 ) I didn’t know what to expect going in, but I definitely enjoyed it. A truly unique and interesting read.
- My siblings, cousins, and some friends have our own Turkey Bowl each Thanksgiving weekend. We’re all pretty out of shape, but it’s still a lot of fun. We played on Sunday morning, and as of today (Thursday morning), my leg muscles are still kind of sore. I seriously need to exercise more 😛
- Saw two movies in theaters this weekend and both were fairly disappointing.
- The Good Dinosaur – As far as Pixar films go, this was one of their weakest entries. It all just seemed so rote and color-by-numbers. There was apparently a lot of trouble behind the scenes during the movie’s production, and it shows. Though it tries really hard to convince you that it does, the film just doesn’t have that Pixar heart. On the positive side, the visuals were stunning, and I liked the hints of the western frontier theme. Now I wish they had doubled down on that and made a cowboy dinosaur movie. At least that would’ve been something new instead of the bland film we got instead.
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2 – aka Speeches: The Movie. I swear, at least a third of this movie was spent by characters pontificating. I remember enjoying Part 1, but haven’t rewatched it since. Still, I imagine Part 2‘s failings could’ve been avoided by keeping Mockingjay as a single film. But them’s the breaks. Definitely the weakest of the series, which is a shame since it ended the movie franchise on a low note.
- Watched the early-released pilot episode of The Expanse and loved it! I’ll write up a formal review when the show formally debuts on SyFy in a few weeks. But I just wanted to say that the show does not disappoint. I loved Leviathan Wakes, and the television adaptation seems incredibly faithful and very well produced. (Also, they included a Belter version of Tighten Up by The Black Keys. Amazing.)
- I ate sushi twice this weekend. I love sushi 🙂
Now I’m back at work, and with this post, gradually easing back into writing. Alongside making progress on some other creative endeavors, I hope to get some more blog posts out by week’s end. So until then… See you, space cowboys!